Sunday, December 13, 2009

Today's experiment ...

What are we cooking today? How about Veggie Fried Rice. It's based on this recipe by Melinda Daniel from allrecipes.com, but I was missing some of the ingredients, so I improvised. Here's what I did.

2 cups uncooked white rice (I used Minute Rice)
5 large eggs
1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 orange bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 bunch of celery, roughly chopped
2 handfuls of snow peas
garlic
ginger powder
onion powder
soy sauce
toasted sesame oil

Cook the rice according to package directions, then place in the fridge to chill. Mix the eggs as if you were making scrambled eggs, minus the milk. Add a teaspoon or two of soy sauce to the egg mixture, along with one clove of minced garlic, onion and ginger powder to taste. Cook the eggs in a large wok or fry pan in heated toasted sesame oil. When they're firm, set them aside and, using the same wok or fry pan, quickly saute the veggies until tender crisp. Then add the eggs and rice and mix the whole thing up. Keep adding the spices and soy sauce until you're satisfied with the taste. That's it.

I tend not to use salt and pepper; consequently my food isn't too spicy. That's how I like it. So, spice yours up if you like. I also didn't have any fresh ginger root or an onion, so I used the powders. I'll put it in containers to take to work for lunch. If I had some firm tofu, I'd have added it, but alas, I'm tofu-less! Poor me.





So, that's today's cooking! Gonna go eat now! Ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment