Saturday, January 24, 2009

It's all good ...

I have fibromyalgia. Just confirmed by my doctor last week. So, rather than getting down and depressed about it, I'm trying to think of what's good about having fibro. Here goes ...

  1. I've been trying to lose weight, rather unsuccessfully I might add. Just couldn't seem to find the motivation. Well, I found it! It's called pain. Research suggests that maintaining a healthy weight and engaging in light to moderate exercise can actually lessen the severity of a flare-up. In addition, eating as natural and organic a diet as possible will help to keep toxins out of my body, and that can't hurt.

  2. I've always been the type that when you say I can't do something, it makes me want to do it all the more. Since being diagnosed, people have been telling me to slow down, take it easy, I shouldn't do this or that. Umm ... I think not! This disease is certainly life changing, but by no means is it life-threatening. Yes, I will listen to my body and rest when I need to, but slow down? Miss out on the things I want to do? Absolutely not!

  3. Taking time for myself ... I've never been really good at that. I have a hard time saying no when someone requests that I do something. Well, this is kind of forcing me to do that. Like today ... a guy I used to date is in town for work and asked if I wanted to go to the Museum of Fine Arts. Initially I said yes, but had to reneg because I'm just too sore. I don't think he believed me because when I said "I'm sorry" he said "I guess." Well, I can't control that. I have to listen to my body and today it said "Are you f*ing kidding me?"

  4. Exercise ... I know that it should be a part of my life. And I've always tried to incorporate it. Typically I'd get all motivated, go for broke, hurt something, and quit. Well, having fibro will force me to take it slow. Hopefully I won't hurt myself and it'll become part of my regular routine.

  5. Stress ... We all know it's not good for us; it's especially not good for people with fibro and is thought to actually trigger a flare. I'm not one to utilize cliches, but I think when you have fibro, you have to learn not to sweat the small stuff. Like when I'm sitting in traffic ... I live near a major east coast metropolitan area and the traffic can be intense. I keep some relaxing classical music in the car, a book I can read, and I never go anywhere without a knitting or crochet project to pass the time. I can't control how others will act; I can only control how I'll react.

  6. Knitting and crocheting ... There's a physiotherapist who believes that knitting, crocheting, needlework ... some kind of stitching can actually interrupt the depressive thought cycles people in chronic pain find themselves in. These activities stimulate the imagination and trigger positive thought processes. If you're interested, there's a website for more information.

  7. Finally, if I had to have this disease, I'm glad I have it now and not ten years ago when my best friend was diagnosed. There is so much information available now, so much support for individuals who have the disease, as well as for caretakers and family members.
I'm sure there's more I'm just not thinking of. But it's getting late, and I'm tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment